Wednesday 30 November 2022

Frostgrave. How seasonal!


It is hard to believe that the first edition of Frostgrave came out over seven freaking years ago. As someone who backed the Necromunda horse when it first came out and thus couldn't afford to jump in on Mordheim when it was released a few years later, Frostgrave was the more approachable and in-print alternative that I had been waiting for.

I rushed out and purchased a dozen or so metal figures from a variety of manufacturers to make my first warband and promptly.. never painted them. I have wanted a nicely painted warband ever since but with my glacial painting speeds, it was never going to happen.

By the time 2nd edition came out a scant two years ago, I was starting to suspect that a nicely painted warband was no longer within my ability. Accepting that, I naturally.. started a brand new warband. This one featured the easier to paint and cheaper-to-replace-when-I-screw-them-up Frostgrave plastics. By July 2021, I had managed to paint.. two horses. And not only are they from an optional supplement, you can only take one! 

But fast forward a year (and a bit) later and I have actually managed to finish the rest of the models! That's like.. almost a model a month! Madness. I would like to thank my diminishing ability and eyesight for making this happen. Agonising for months over a single model and producing a B- of a paint job is no longer an option; a one month C- job is now all I can manage. So.. er.. yay? 

In the front row we have Lyra the apprentice, Ranald the Artificer and Captain Graves.

The trio on the left is an infantrywoman and two thugs, while on the right we have another thug, a thief, an infantrywoman and a crossbowman.

Finally, bringing up the rear is a low level version of Artemis (the Captain's horse), the higher level version of Artemis (featuring a mounted version of Captain Graves) and my large construct, Rowdy. If I ever find a medium construct miniature I like then I may add one to the warband.. but otherwise the Ranald's Expedition is finally ready to go! 

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Cheers Joe! There is something about those lower model count games that nags at me and says "You only need ten models, you really have no excuse not to have them painted" and I am relieved to finally silence that voice. Now I just need to do the same for my Rangers..

      Delete